Sunday, September 18, 2016

Crafty Bits: Fighting Through the Funk

I’ve been in a bit of a crafty funk. I’m not sure if it is from Social Media overload or laziness, or some combination of the two, but I just haven’t been creating as much as I want this year. I’m not living up to my potential! Of course, that hasn’t stopped me from shopping and adding to my stash. And shopping I have done…

Yes, I am one of those people who keeps track of all her purchases. <Sigh> So, that habit just contributes to the guilt and funk. Hopefully, I can snap out of this state soon. I realize that my work suffers when I’ve been away. You have to practice a skill every day or you get rusty. Then the work isn’t up to snuff and you can get sad. It’s a vicious cycle.

 

I’ve realized I’ve become a wannabe crafter. I’m a fake! I’ve surrounded myself with product, spend my daily drives listening to inspirational podcasts, stalk Facebook groups, save countless numbers of work in Pinterest, and spend hours on the YouTube but am not producing nearly enough to even pretend that I am a Papercrafter anymore. That has to change!

I think drastic measures need to take place. And by drastic, I mean self-imposed homework! <Dramatic gasp from audience> Well, I brought this upon myself.

1. Accountability: I need to post regularly, like weekly, in social media. Make myself publicly accountable. I’m obviously spending too much time on the various platforms, I might as well be using it to my advantage. I hope to post once a week to this blog and then again a different project to Instagram or Pinterest.

2. I need to practice my craft. This means I need to do a bit of everything each week. I can start feeling less like a spy and fan-girl in my Facebook groups and more like a participant and actual member. It is my goal to make a card, layout, and planner spread each week.

3. I want to be a finisher. I have so many Iris cases full of projects. Some even have all the materials and pictures ready to go. What is holding me back?! I think I have a bit of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) so I am always looking for the next best thing- a product, line, tool, technique - that it distracts from me actually focusing on the now.

Hopefully, with regular use, I won’t feel so shy about sharing, and will actually be an active member in my crafty communities. And I can start feeling accomplished and worthy of the title of Papercrafter. 

And, I have a bit of a surprise to share tomorrow. It’s super fun, a bit out of the blue, and just the spark I need to feel legitimate as a keeper of memories…and other crafty bits. 




Thanks!

~Jeanna~




No comments: